Ajovarma Oy in a nutshell

Ajovarma Oy is a company specialising in driving examinations and permit services. Ajovarma is part of A-Katsastus Group and is a contractual partner of the Finnish Transport Safety Agency Trafi. We have operations throughout Finland.

Briefly in English

Ajovarma provides diverse services related to driving examinations and various licences and permits required in road traffic to private individuals.

Ajovarma Oy belongs to the A-Katsastus Group and has operations throughout Finland. We provide drivers' examinations in approximately 110 service facilities, which are mostly located within inspection stations. Additionally from 1st of January 2016 on we have started to handle various licences and permits at our offices.
List of Ajovarma offices (pdf)

Ajovarma's operations aim at improving road safety. We i.a. ensure that our customers have the required information and skills before that start operating vehicles independently and safely.

Ajovarma services

  • Acceptance of theoretical and driving tests within the scope of driving examination operations and associated tasks
  • Acceptance of driving permit tests for dangerous goods and associated tasks
  • Granting tachograph cards (driver and corporate cards) and associated tasks
  • Supervision of driving permit education for dangerous goods, driver teaching and training tracks
  • Acceptance of professional qualification tests, registration of professional qualification education, granting professional qualification cards, supervision of professional qualification education, and associated tasks
  • Organisation of testing events for professional drivers and supervision of professional driver education
  • Handling of various licences and permits required in road traffic to private individuals

Our partner is Trafi

Our contractual partner is the Finnish Transport Safety Agency Trafi. Among other things, Trafi ensures that the teaching you receive from a driving school is of good quality and, at the same time, that the vehicle you drive meets safety regulations and environmental requirements. Trafi's experts are also involved in preparatory work for regulations both at the EU and national level.

At Trafi’s web site you can find a comprehensive information package about road traffic issues, e.g. registration, taxation and various licences.
Read more: Trafi's web site (Road traffic)

How do you get a right to drive/driving licence in Finland?

As a rule, a right to drive corresponding to the vehicle class in question is always needed for driving a motor vehicle.  A right to drive is granted once the theoretical and the driving test have been passed. The required skills are acquired prior to the tests either in driving schools, which is the most common method, or through the driving instruction licence practice.
Read more: Trafi’s web site (I want a driving licence)

Acquisition of a driving licence
It is a precondition taking the driving examination that candidates fill the age requirements set and that they have a driving licence permit or a order by police to take a driving examination. The theoretical test must be passed before the driving test.

1. Theoretical test
The aim of the theoretical test of the driving examination is to ensure that candidates know the rules and regulations related to the vehicle group. The test is taken on a computer at the office of the party accepting the examination. If needed, a possibility to use an interpreter will be arranged.

2. Driving test
The aim of the driving test is to ensure that candidates are capable of handling the vehicle in a variety of traffic situations. The duration of the driving test is 45–75 minutes depending on the examination class.  If needed, a possibility to use an interpreter will be arranged.

If you already have a driving licence granted in some other country than Finland

Driving licences issued in another EU or EEA Member State and interim driving licences issued in the Nordic countries entitle their holders to operate motor vehicles in Finland in categories corresponding to the driving rights indicated on their licences.  In addition, the driver must fill the Finnish age requirement set for the driving licence class in question. The right to drive exists regardless of whether the person concerned is visiting Finland as a tourist or resides here permanently.

Exchanging an international driving licence for a Finnish driving licence
It is possible exchange a driving licence issued in an EU or EEA Member State (except an interim driving licence) for the corresponding Finnish driving licence (if the licence has been lost, stolen or destroyed). It is required that the person exchanging the licence is permanently resident in Finland or has studied here for at least six months. The exchange does not require taking a new driving examination.

NB. A Finnish person or person already resident in Finland may not drive a vehicle in Finland with a licence acquired abroad at a later date.
Read more: Trafi’s web site (Can I drive on a foreign driving licence in Finland?) 

Professional transport and related permits and tachograph cards

More information about the professional competence requirements of, for example, bus or taxi drivers in Finland is available at Trafi's web site.
Read more: Trafi's web site (Commercial transport) 

You can also find more information about digital tachograph cards.
Read more: Trafi's web site (Digital tachograph cards)  

More information about our services

You can ask for more information by filling a feedback and questions -form. We will refer you to the closest Ajovarma service point providing service in English.